Selling your home during the holidays in Portland Oregon can be a challenge with rain, longer nights, and holiday festivities distracting potential buyers. On the bright side, there may be less competition with only motivated buyers looking. If you are selling your home during this time, you may be wondering how, or if you should decorate. My awnser Yes! But keep it simple. Potential buyers this time of year expect and respond to tasteful and simple holiday decor.
Here are a few tips to make sure potential buyers are connecting to your home during the holidays!
1. Make sure your home is clean and de cluttered first and foremost! Adding any kind of decor to a cluttered house is a big mistake. Buyers will only see your “stuff”and not the features of the home.
2. If you are putting up a tree, make sure there is ample space for buyers to walk and view the home. If in doubt go with a smaller tree or a thinner tree rather than a large full tree. Keep ornaments simple, stay with one or two colors that enhance the decor, and don’t overload the tree with every ornament you own. Just a few neatly wrapped presents under the tree will keep it festive and simple.
3. Keep it non demoninational in order to not put off potential buyers.
4. Make sure the focus selling points, i.e. the bay window or the fireplace mantel are still visable and are not hiden with decor. A simple natural garland hung on the fireplace, or the stair banister is always stunning and will add a fragrant touch.
5. Keep your yard tidy with ample light. A holiday wreath on the front door or a simple menorah in the window is enough. Keep the inflatable santa’s and reindeer in storage for now, too much lawn decor will detract from the features of your home. Adding a simple white strand of lights will add extra focus to the home’s architecture and will add some extra needed light this time of year.
6. When in doubt, stay with seasonal decor rather than holiday decor. Portlander’s love nature, pinecone’s on the table with candles, fresh wreaths or garland’s.These are simple and classic seasonal touches that will not detract from the homes features. Add some cozy throw blankets and pillows for accent colors, and don’t forget some freshly chopped wood in the fireplace. This way you are are sure to please any seasonal buyer, and will have them envisioning how they will spend future holidays in their new space!
Imagine Home Staging and Design wishes you and your family a wonderful holiday season!
We Connect People to Spaces!