Many Realtors and homeowners will want to take advantage of the sellers market to obtain multiple offers and to gain more equity. If you want to sell for up to 20% more, and possibly gain multiple offers, I highly suggest you invest in presenting your listed home to it’s best advantage with staging and updates.
De cluttering, furniture arrangement, painting and simple updates will give you a great return on your investment. And according to HomeGain, hiring a professional stager is a 251% average return on investment!
The market in Portland as well as across the country is a hot sellers market. Low inventory, as well as fewer foreclosures followed by low interest rates make it a perfect time to list your home.
Every buyer wants the best package, every seller wants to sell their home for the best possible price. Every Realtor wants more commission and of course every stager wants to have the best reputation for staging homes to sell fast Don’t put your house on the market and wait and see what happens.
I have recently been called in more times than I can count to help sellers with homes they have pulled off the market because buyers are not making offers. It is usually because the house is tired looking, dull, or outdated, and the price is not matching the condition.
Following is a list by HomeGain that will possibly bring in those multiple offers.
2. Lighten and brighten – 865% Average Return on Investment: Replace any burnt-out bulbs and use higher wattage bulbs, if possible. Have defective electrical components repaired or replaced. Make sure skylights are clear and keep drapes open during the day.
3. Yard – 426% Average Return on Investment: Store away personal effects from front yard. Hire gardener or landscaper to trim back the overgrowth and maintain yard. Make sure that your lawn has a healthy green appearance.
4. Plumbing and electrical – 260% Average Return on Investment: Consider repairing or replacing any defective plumbing or electrical items in your home. Make sure you have the right person for the job by getting several estimates.
5. Staging – 251% Average Return on Investment: Buy some fresh flowers, live plants and other decorations to liven up the home. Dispose of old furniture or other large items. Consider renting furniture or hiring a staging consultant.
6. Update kitchen and bath – 168% Average Return on Investment: Update kitchen and baths by resurfacing cabinets or painting with neutral color. Replace toilet seats, dated fixtures and drawer/cabinet handles. Freshly caulk and redo grout in countertops, sinks, tubs and showers.
7. Paint interior – 148% Average Return on Investment: Repair any damaged interior walls by patching all chips, holes and cracks; then touch up or repaint interior walls with neutral color.
8. Carpeting = 104% Average Return on Investment: If carpets are only lightly soiled, shampooing and/or spot removal should suffice. If there are rips, fading, heavy wear, smells or deep stains, replace with neutral color.
9. Flooring – 101% Average Return on Investment: Repair and refinish damaged floors, or cover with neutral-colored wall to wall carpet and note damage in your disclosure.
10. Paint exterior – 76% Average Return on Investment: Repaint or resurface the outside walls of house, as needed. Patch and repair any damaged areas.